Tuesday, September 05, 2006

on Teachers' Day

On this Teachers’ Day, I am thinking of all my school teachers from Banasthali Vidyapith – a boarding school (deemed university) near Jaipur, Rajasthan in India (for girls only).

What an institution !
First of all, no tuition fee. Yes I repeat – no tuition fee (at least in my times!) and the high level of education that’s imparted there is commendable. They focus on overall development so besides all typical subjects, one also has the opportunity to learn swimming, horse riding, flying, gliding, Indian classical dances (Bharatnatyam, Katthak, Manipuri – all at one place!), Indian vocal and instrumental classical music and much more…

Particularly I am thinking now of my music teacher – Pandit Laxman Bhatt Tailang. He was so keen on us learning sincerely that sometimes he would scold us for not taking good care of throat : ) At such times, we as children, used to think of running away from him.

Today after years… when I am looking for a music teacher again, I am not able to find one who could match him!
One realises value of things/people only when they are not there!
So now when I realised how knowledgeable/ dedicated/ sincere he was… I googled and (thankfully) found his contacts, drove to Jaipur to meet him. Whether he recognised me or not, it doesn’t matter. I was happy that I could again sit in his feet and listen to him singing…!

I adore you Sir…

Regards.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gurdeepak said...

Lovely! I messaged one of my favourite teacher and he replied back.

There is an interesting quote that I read "You are rewarding a teacher poorly if you always remain a pupil". Think...

Thursday, 07 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home